Monday, March 12, 2007

Liar's Eve

Hey gangalang, enjoy the link.

If I had to compare my process to anything, it would be the lonely teen going through the school phone directory and calling every girl he knows to try and score a date to the big dance. But, you know, it's like too late and almost everyone has dates, and those who don't have already resigned themselves to not going and never considered the lonely teen as an option and aren't prepared to now. What I mean to say is that I wildly overestimated the interest of others in this little project. Moreover, my go-to funny people all write the Chappie with me, and we put out two issues in the past nine days, so I was in no position to ask anything of them.

Maybe I took the wrong tack. Maybe instead of approaching funny people, I should have gone after the Stanford Roleplayers. But this teen isn't that lonely, and I think it would only be a matter of time before they were requiring attack rolls and saving throws in fictional bounty hunter hand-to-hand accounts.

Excuses excuses! BUT, the unfortunate timing of this assignment is what has convinced me to keep it going. I just signed a three-month lease on this lamentable URL, so I will keep playing with it and see if any new ideas for it come to light.

In terms of my writing process, I pick a character and formulate an opinion or anecdote about him. I keep a list of all my characters beside me and then think about what they would say to what I have just posted. It's as straight-forward as can be, and more spontaneous than I would like actually. I feel like the spontaneity is making it too homogeneous. That's been a tough part: striking that balance between the groupthink of a dedicated community of bounty hunters and the individual differences of opinion that Internet discourse so readily exposes.

Also, I don't really know how to present a non-linear thing like this, so I am just going to read a few threads tonight.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I have some very bad news.

No comments: